Thursday, June 1, 2017

Aquatics Mecca: CNAB Barcelona


Dateline: Monday evening, May 22, 2017... as I was walking along the boardwalk along Barceloneta Beach in Barcelona, Spain, last week I suddenly noticed an Olympic sized swimming pool right smack dab next to the boardwalk and the beach.  I was absolutely stunned!  I had been hoping to find a pool while I was in Barcelona to keep up with my training in anticipation of the annual lifeguard recheck in a few weeks... and here right in front of me was THE ANSWER!...


And so I made a beeline for the front door and inquired about a daily use fee.  Just 13 Euros and change as it turns out. Well worth it because this club has FOUR (4) pools!  Three of them are lap pools too!  Just AMAZING!  And they have everything else too:  locker rooms, showers, saunas, weights, massage, even acupuncture... cardio, fitness classes, tennis, paddle tennis, yada yada yada.....

This club and its facilities is unlike anything I have even seen short of perhaps a University with such facilities spread around campus.  Four (4) pools?!... HELLO!!!  And the ocean is right out front where buoys are set up for swimming.

*** A couple of Club Pool Gear HINTS!... Bring sandals and a swim cap, in addition to the usual suspect gear like a swim suit and goggles.  You cannot wear your street footwear at the club's pools. You must wear sandals on the pool deck.  You must also wear a swim cap if you are going to use any of the three lap pools.  These rules are strictly enforced.  I, fortunately, brought a pair of cheap rubber flip flops on the trip and I am now the proud owner of a yellow CNAB swim cap!

Well, that's enough of an introduction and so here are the photos I took which should convince you to put CNAB on your bucket list as part of any trip to Barcelona!...






And below are the photos I took the next day, Tuesday, May 23rd as I walked to the club...


Pool #1 as I walked around the club was indoors!...


Pool #2 is a shallow bathing pool for club members and kids...


Pool #3 (on the upper club deck adjacent to the shallow pool above) is another amazing pool!...
*** Note: Lifeguard on duty too!...


2nd club hint: the outdoor pool decks and pools are topless friendly which the undersigned definitely noticed..., though the female club members and guests that took this opportunity did appear to be only a small percentage of those enjoying the club's pool deck and pools.


The tunnel leading down to beach level to the pool I saw last nite...


Pool #4, beside the boardwalk that I saw last nite...



Below, the exterior of CNAB (CLUB NATACIO ATLETIC-BARCELONETA)


CNAB CLUB NATACIO ATLETIC-BARCELONETA
Placd del Mar, s/n • 08003 Barcelona
Tel. 93 221 00 10 • www.cnab.cat •  cnab@cnab.cat
Twitter: cnab_oficial • Facebook: cnab.oficial • Instagram: cnab_oficial

(Metro Station closest: L4 Barceloneta)



Adult club and youth water polo programs too!...






And the sculptor is...



This club is multiple levels and takes up space equivalent to a couple of city blocks!


... and yes, it's smack dab next to the ocean!... at Sant Sebastia along Barceloneta Beach...




What a lucky break it was to find this Amazing Aquatic Mecca!  Thank you, CNAB and Barcelona
for your tribute to aquatics.

I can't wait to go back someday!...

10-4

Will Maguire, Editor
"County Recurrent" News
http://CountyRecurrent.blogspot.com

(All photos by & Copyright Will Maguire 2017. No claim is made here to the reproductions of the two pages from the CNAB club brochure).

***   ***   ***

No comments: